Located in Tennoji Park, the Osaka City Museum of Fine Arts opened in 1936. The Chausuyama area where the museum stands, which was the site of the Sumitomo family estate, was donated together with the famous garden Keitaku-en to the City of Osaka, which constructed the museum.
The facility is widely renowned for the quality of its collection of Chinese and Japanese works of art, which are of various fields including paintings, sculptures, calligraphy, metalwork, porcelain, lacquer ware, and dyed textiles. Currently, the museum’s collection comprises approximately 8,000 works of art. Galleries in the Main Building feature special museum-planned exhibits as well as a regular exhibit featuring the museum’s own collection and works on loan to the museum, including National Treasures and Important Cultural Properties. The basement exhibit rooms house public exhibitions organized by a variety of art organizations.